The OS City Council is scheduled to select someone to fill the seat vacated by Jon Martin (who was voted to replace the late Crystal Dingler as mayor) Jan. 24. The applicants, to date: Allison Cline, Gregory Cox, Patrick Daugherty and Ed Schroll (the latter two unsuccessfully ran for council last year). The vacancy was announced Dec. 13, with a Jan. 19 deadline for written applications. The letters the four submitted (provided to the North Beach News in a timely manner after a recent records request):
The procedure, as outlined on the city’s website:
Friday before Selection Meeting (January 21, 2022)
• Invite applicants to the next Council meeting to speak individually for 3 minutes and to answer Council questions.
• City Clerk will provide copies of letter/resumes to Council members and the press.
3rd Council night (January 24, 2022)
• The applicants will be asked to wait outside the Council Chamber.
• The applicants will be called in one at a time selected randomly by placing all names in a container and selected one at a time.
• Applicants may sit in the Council meeting and listen to subsequent applicants.
• When all available have spoken, the Mayor will recess into executive session.
• Mayor and Council will discuss qualifications in the executive session.
• Mayor will reconvene the regular meeting.
• All Councilmembers names will be placed in a container, and the Mayor will pull a name, and that Councilmember may nominate a person for the open position if the Councilmember passes the Mayor will select another Councilmember to nominate a person.
• The Council will vote on the person nominated if there are four yes votes then the applicant becomes a new Councilperson. If there are not four yes votes, then the Mayor will select another Councilmember to place a nomination. Councilmembers may only vote once per nominee, and during the first round, the Mayor may not break the tie.
• If all Councilmembers have either nominated or voted for someone, the Council will move to round two. The process will start again, and Councilmembers may nominate a new person or re-nominate a person nominated in round one, however during this round the Mayor, if they choose, may vote if three Councilmembers are voting positive for an Applicant.
• If appointed, the new Councilmember may be sworn in and takes his or her seat.
• The regular meeting continues.